So for the month of May, I want you to do a few things to raise awareness:
- When you hear someone say that gluten free is a fad, remind the that 1 in 100 Canadian have Celiac Disease and that they require a gluten free diet to manage the disease.
- When you someone asks you why you eat a gluten free diet, you tell them "I have Celiac Disease disease. There is no cure for Celiac Disease, however I can manage it, and heal my body by eating a gluten free diet"
- When someone takes pity on you because you have to eat gluten free food you bust the myth "Gluten free foods are not any worse than non-gluten free foods. Gluten free does not mean bland, does not mean no seasoning, does not mean no sauce. It just means no wheat, rye, barley or malt. Instead we introduce different grains like rice, quinoa and corn etc."
- When someone asks you what Celiac Disease is, or you think they don't understand you tell them "Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system no longer recognizes gluten. When gluten is eaten, it sets off an autoimmune response and the absorptive surface of the small intestine (known as villi) is attacked and damaged. Many serious effects, includ malabsorption of important nutrients like protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals, which are necessary for good health."
- Share this blog post! Let people know what Celiac Disease is, and what the gluten free diet means to you.