Before we started running the Catelli Gluten Free Pasta for a Year Contest, we actually tried the pasta because we got really excited when we saw a name brand like Catelli put our a gluten free pasta. When thinking about out what to make with the pasta (because we didn't just want to make anything), I thought this was a good opportunity to try another gluten free product we hadn't tried yet. So I decided to make a bolognese sauce and I pulled out the Marc Angelo Italian sausages that are certified by the Canadian Celiac Association Gluten Free Certification Program.
The Catelli Pasta is made with white rice, brown rice, corn and quinoa. I don't recall ever seeing that combination of flours before in a pasta. We know each type has its own strength and weakness but it really worked for Catelli and they made a pretty good gluten free fusilli. Catellie really wants you to buy their pasta, so they currently have an online coupon for a $1 off savings! Click here for the coupon.
For this recipe, I used the sausage two ways so I didn't have to freeze any of the sausage after. I opened up the casings of half the sausages to get my ground meat for the bolognes, and cut up the other half into chunks to add another texture to the pasta. See the recipe below.
- 1 box of Catelli gluten free fusilli
- 1 package of Marc Angelo gluten free certified italian sausages
- 2 garlic cloves minces (I used the jared stuff)
- Half a container of spinach
- Jar of your favourite pasta sauce
- Chickpeas (optional)
- table spoon of vegetable oil
- Heat a pot of water and follow directions on box to cook pasta
- Open up casings of atleast half of the sausages, and cut up the rest into 1 inch chunks
- Heat oil in pan and add sausage chunks and cook for 3 minutes
- Add un cased sausage and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until sausage is fully cooked
- Add garlic and toss for 10 seconds
- Add chickpeas (optional)
- Add 3 quarters of the jar of pasta sauce (keep the last quarter just in case you want more)
- Stir and simmer for 5 minutes (keep sauce warming if done before pasta)
- Add gluten free Catelli fusilli pasta and stir
- Add Spinach and stir until wilted. You may want to cover pan to help with the wilting.