So how did this post come about? Well, the cheese people at Castello contacted me. They wanted me to right about there cheese. So I said, "Sure!", after all their products are naturally gluten free. I asked them for a recipe that I can make with some of their cheese, because after all, I have to make this interesting enough for you guys to read right?
Castello gave me a voucher to buy some blue cheese and a recipe for a Fig and Blue Salad. So I tried out half the salad. Meaning, by the time I got around to making the salad, I realized I had prunes and but no figs, so I stuck with the focus of making the blue cheese dressing. Which I was really looking forward too, since I love blue cheese, and have had blue cheese salad dressing on many occasions, but never made my own.
I'll give you the whole recipe they gave me, but I really only tried the dressing. Which turned out so tasty and really hit the spot. I think the next time I make chicken wings, or gluten free buffalo chicken fingers, I may have to pull out this recipe as a dipping sauce.
- Selection of red coloured lettuce leaves
- 6 fresh figs
- 50-75g fresh raspberries
- 1 pack (125g) Castello Traditional Blue Cheese
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to season
- Make cuts in the figs from the top down as if you were going to quarter them but leave the base intact so they remain whole. Arrange them in a suitable dish with the salad leaves as a bed, the raspberries scattered among the leaves and half of to three quarters of the cheese crumbled over the salad.
- Place the oil, remaining cheese, lemon juice and seasonings in a blender and blitz together until smooth and creamy
- Drizzle dressing over salad and store the rest in a jug for additional pouring.
This might make a nice last minute holiday salad for Christmas dinner with the red raspberries and figs!