|Curry, not in a hurry
Now comes the fun (slight sarcasm) part...the menu! I am always a bit hesitant when inviting people over to the house for meals, especially when there's a larger crowd. I often wonder what can I serve that will meet all of the necessary dietary restrictions (gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegetarian or at least fish). Sounds like a lot of restrictions. Yet somehow we manage to find awesome tasting foods to serve and thankfully without breaking the bank.
In the past we've served mustard and brown sugar salmon or we've hosted a backyard winter BBQ and many other meals. This time we're trying something new. Well, I shouldn't really call it new since I adamantly refuse to serve anything brand new to guests. I always have to test try it on Abisaac or my family first, just in case it's terrible. Call me crazy, but that is just a rule I have about serving food to guests. I am however willing to try serving a new store bought dessert without trying it beforehand, but not if I've made it myself. It's a pride thing I guess.
Here's what we served most recently:
Slow Cooker Curry (not in a hurry)
Adapted from Women's Day - Comfort Foods Magazine 2010
- 1 can coconut milk
- ¼ cup flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill All purpose gluten free flour blend)
- 1 ½ tsp curry paste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 small Yukon gold potatoes (halved)
- 4 cups butternut squash, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 red pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 handful of raisins (my addition)
1) Whisk the coconut milk, flour and curry paste together in the slow cooker. Stir in all vegetables (and raisins) except the frozen peas. Mix well.
2) Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours until vegetables are tender. Turn off slow cooker and add in frozen peas, let sit for 5 minutes.
This recipe makes A LOT of food, therefore it is perfect for a potluck meal - gluten free style. I call it my free free super easy potluck dinner to cover all of the major food allergen and dietary restrictions that my friends and I need. It's gluten free, dairy free, nut free, soy free, vegetarian and even kosher. I hope you all enjoy it.