On a recent trip to Toronto we went to our favorite Mediterranean restaurants to have some delicious food. When we ordered our apps,we found one of the greatest tips you need to serve safe gluten free dips.
At Me Va Me, they offer serving a large plate of crisp romaine lettuce leaves instead of pita and did not charge any extra because it was just lettuce.
So why is this the only tip you need?
- No cross contamination if everyone is sharing
- Most restaurants DO carry romaine, while not all carry a gluten free bread, let a lone a gluten free pita.
- The romaine lettuce leaves were perfect for scooping and eating
- We didn't get filled up on carb loaded pita, and got to enjoy the delicous taste of the dips.
- Finally, lets face it, the lettuce or pita is just a vessel for getting the dip to your mouth because spooning baba ghanouj directly into your mouth is apparently not appropriate (so I've been told) :-(
This is me scooping loads of dip into a big crisp piece of romaine lettuce. It was delicious and worked so well!
So for any restaurant owner or chef reading this! Offer some crisp romaine with your dips instead of pita for those that can't digest gluten! For anyone eating a restaurant that wants some apps and something to dip with, ask for a plate of crisp romaine instead of bread.