Powered by Blogger.
Follow us: Gluten Free Edmonton on Facebook Gluten Free Edmonton on Twitter

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Panago Pizza Adds Gluten Free Crust to Menu

Panago Pizza has added a gluten free crust to its menu.  It should be rolled out now or rolling out soon, and I hope to be trying it soon and sharing more about the pizza itself shortly.  In the meantime, I wanted to share with you some of the facts I dug up while researching their crust.  They currently indicate the gluten free crust on their downloadable menu.  Check out Panago's menu here.

I had contacted Panago a few years back about adding a gluten free crust to their menu.  Their response was that they did not want to add a crust until they found a crust that met their quality of standard.  Well, I guess they finally found the right gluten free crust.  So that is fantastic that there is a chain pizza delivery place thats not Boston Pizza in Edmonton that serves up gluten free pizza crusts.

Okay, so now for some info Panago shared with me through private Facebook messages.

First, they are obviously covering their buts on the gluten free crust and cross contamination as they probably have too since they work in a kitchen that is not strictly gluten free.  Their crust comes from a gluten free facility (they didn't tell me if its their own crust or someone elses crust) so they are confident that the crust is gluten free, but (here is their disclaimer), they do not recommend the crust for Celiac's, because of the working conditions of the kitchen.  Fair enough, I don't think that's going to stop Amanda from eating their gluten free pizza.

I did ask them about procedures to reduce cross contamination and the message in the image above is what they came back with:
  1. Stores have been instructed to use freshly cleaned knives when cutting the gluten free crusts
  2. Each store will be equipped with 2 gluten free specific screens for cooking which will be stored in sealed plastic containers between uses.
Which is two great practices.  Just remember when ordering to remind them!

They also gave me a list of gluten free ingredients.  Here is some of that list

Sauces
  • BBQ Sauce
  • Cheezy Cheddar Sauce
  • Chipotle Cilantro Sauce
  • Italian Tomato (pizza sauce)
  • Jalapeno White Sauce
  • Cheezy Cheddar Dip
  • Chipotle Cilantro Dip
  • Classic Caesar Dressing
  • Italian Garlic Dip
  • Italian Tomato Dip
  • Jalapeno Ranch Dip
I certainly look forward to trying this out.

Panago (104 Ave/112 St) on Urbanspoon

Gluten Free Edmonton - A Celiac guide and resource for gluten free information in Edmonton, Alberta

14 comments:

Unknown July 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Hi Abisaac - we would love to hear your feedback on our Gluten-Free crust once you have tried it.
Thanks,
Panago Team

e_bolton July 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I am so excited to try their pizza! I've never had real "takeout" pizza!

22b656a2-cc5b-11e1-8736-000bcdcb2996 July 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Our new Panago Gluten Free crust will be available in stores in the next few weeks, if you like I will add your Email address to our list and will send you an Email as soon as the Gluten Free crust is available to order from your local Panago.

Abisaac Saraga July 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Thank you, yes, please add us to your distribution list when the gluten free crust is available in Edmonton. info@glutenfreeedmonton.com.

Dale James July 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM

"Our Gluten Free crust will be available in our medium 14 inch pizza. The Gluten Free crust is a pre-made product we get from a Gluten Free supplier."

Im not sure if they mean large 14 inch pizza or medium 12 inch

Gayle Boyd July 26, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I had gluten free pizza from Panago tonight! The call centre that takes orders was very good about checking ingredients for me. I have missed their chicken taco pizza so much, it was a great treat!

Anonymous,  September 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Does anyone know if this is just is all Panago's?

Dianna,  September 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Has anyone felt sick from the panago gf pizza?

Anonymous,  September 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I ate Panago pizza last night and ordered the gluten free Philly Cheese Steak. I am a celiac and definitely reacted to it. I usually get a bit sick if I eat Boston Pizza, but this was a full on gluten attack. I thought I would give it a try since it seemed like such a treat, however, I would definitely follow their warnings and if you are celiac or sensitive I would not eat there. Hopefully in the future they will change their process's so us Celiac's can eat there without getting sick.

Anonymous,  October 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM

FALSE ADVERTIZING: THIS IS WHAT PANAGO SAYS: IT SHOULD SAY 'GLUTEN REDUCED"

*The nature of our operations and open-concept kitchens present inevitable flour cross-contamination and therefore gluten exposure. This crust is NOT recommended for Celiac Disease sufferers or those customers with a moderate to high gluten intolerance or sensitivity

Anonymous,  November 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM

On a visit to Alberta my wife who is Celiac had a gluten free panago pizza and had a very bad gluten attack so would be very suspect as to the Gluten free claim.

Anonymous,  December 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM

It says right on their menu this.. *The nature of our operations and open-concept kitchens present inevitable flour cross-contamination and therefore gluten exposure. This crust is NOT recommended for celiac disease sufferers or those customers with a moderate to high gluten intolerance or sensitivity.

Anonymous,  January 16, 2013 at 6:53 AM

I have had the tropical hawaiian panago pizza with the gluten free crust and it was awesome! I have celiac disease and have not had a problem with eating this pizza. I am excited that there is take out pizza available!

Anonymous,  May 30, 2013 at 9:33 PM

This is by far our favorite gluten free option from a restaurant. We have tried multiple other places, and this is the best yet. Boston pizza only uses Kinnikinnick crusts, so it's a bit of a rip off considering you can buy a box of those crusts for what they charge for one! If you get panago, it has a thinner, crunchier crust! (For those of you missing thin crust, this is it!) I have a medium-high gluten sensitivity, but I haven't had a problem with this pizza yet.