This year there are several Canadian Celiac Association Edmonton events, and a couple non association events that I wanted to share. First thing is first, lets help spread the awareness!
What you need to know about Celiac Disease:
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system no longer recognizes gluten. When gluten is eaten, it sets off an autoimmune response and the absorptive surface of the small intestine (known as villi) is attacked and damaged. Continued deterioration of the villi can have many serious effects, including malabsorption of important nutrients like protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals, which are necessary for good health.
It is estimated that 1 out of every 100 people in Canada is affected by celiac disease. Many of them are still waiting to be diagnosed. People of any age, from infancy through old age, can be diagnosed with celiac disease, and you don’t outgrow it. -- www.celiacedmonton.ca
Annually, the Celiac Association sets up booths at hospitals around the city to raise awareness and answer questions about Celiac Disease. If you have any questions, I certainly encourage you to visit the booth during the month to ask them! I also encourage you to share this information with anyone that is newly diagnosed or consider visiting if you think you have Celiac Disease. Here is this years booth schedule:
- Sturgeon Hospital – St. Albert May 2-3 (Thursday – Friday) 9:00am-2:30pm
- Royal Alexandra Hospital – Edmonton May 7-8 (Tuesday-Wednesday) 9:00am-4:00pm
- University of Alberta Hospital – Edmonton May 15-16, (Wednesday-Thursday) 9:00am-4:00pm
- Grey Nuns Hospital – Edmonton May 23-24 (Thursday-Friday) 9:00am-3:00pm
- Misericordia Hospital – May 21 (Tuesday) 9:00am-3:00pm
- Leduc Hospital – May 28 (Tuesday) 9:00-3:00pm
- Old Strathcona Farmer’s Market – Saturday June 8 (8:00am-3:00pm)
Now for a couple extra bonus events:
- May 4 & 5 is the 11th Annual Edmonton Health and Wellness Show - Check out the new Gluten Free Exhibit and drop by the The Canadian Celiac Association Edmonton Chapter booth to say "Hi" - Check back at our blog tomorrow for more details.
- May 18th is the Gluten Free Cravings Food Fair in Sherwood Park - Check back here in a couple weeks for more details
- May 26 is the 2013 Louisiana Purchase Dinner hosted by the Canadian Celiac Association Edmonton Chapter